Tuesday, September 07, 2010

30 Days of Me - 01


So, Day 1 is to post a recent photo of myself and 15 interesting facts about myself. The photo was taken in November last year. I went tramping by myself on the Abel Tasman trail. Great experience and if you're in NZ and haven't done it yet, why not?

Not sure about interesting, but here are some things about me:
  1. I was born on a Wednesday which means, apparently, I'm supposed to be full of woe. I get a little emo from time to time, but I'm pretty content with my life.
  2. I always wanted to be a doctor. I had decided on neurosurgery because the brain fascinated me. Then, I read an article in the Reader's Digest about a day in the life of one. The first patient had his head drilled into to relieve pressure, which resulted in blood and pus shooting from the hole described in gory detail. At that point, I decided to be an accountant.
  3. I didn't become an accountant. I went to a small university where I had one of the 3 professors as my accounting prof. First day of class he stated "There are no stupid questions." The first person to ask a question got a strange look and the question "What are you, stupid?" What he clearly meant was that there are no stupid questions, only stupid people. Out of fear that I would have his guy teaching classes every term of my degree, I switched to computer science.
  4. The first computer arrived in our house when I was 9. I've been playing with them ever since. Damn, that's a long time.
  5. I played in the Wellington regional event for the International Monopoly tournament. I didn't win, but I had fun.
  6. I do leadlighting for fun. I don't do it as often as I would like, but when I get started, I lose time. Plus, it lets me play with a soldering iron.
  7. I have a pretty large collection of DVDs.
  8. The first time I flew in an airplane was when I was going for a job interview at a pulp and paper mill in a remote town in Manitoba, Canada. The town was almost 600km away from the nearest "big"city as the crow flies, but as the road travels it was much further. I was short listed to 2. Sometimes I wonder what I'd be doing if I had gotten that job. Crazy lady in the wilderness is my guess.
  9. I try to celebrate Champagne Thursday whenever I can. It's not really about drinking, it's more about celebrating being alive.
  10. My favourite restaurant meal was at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Arlington VA. The restaurant had an amazing view of the White House and the Mall, and the steak was absolutely to die for several times over. It was late, my colleague and I had been in the car for hours, and the service was fabulous.
  11. I am the oldest child in my family.
  12. My best birthday was when I turned 20. It actually started out quite crap. My boyfriend at the time had to go out of town to his parents' house instead of coming out for my birthday. He didn't tell me until the afternoon of the day though. I called my friend Anthony to tell him it was my birthday and I was alone. He immediately picked me up and called another friend. We went to the local brew bar, had a few, and then more friends rolled in. I ended up eating cake and drinking with 8 guys who were good friends which made up for one stupid boyfriend. :)
  13. We did a Belbin team study at the beginning of a project I worked on. I'm a Shaper.
  14. My favourite programming language is probably Pascal, but that's probably because it has a special place in my heart.
  15. I actually own a onesie. It has teddy bears on it.


1 comment:

Tara said...

i LOVE the idea of Champagne Thursday!